Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  08:18:38  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow nice set-ups :o althought how do you make the wood/branches/everything stay up? Is it screwed/glued or not?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  09:42:02  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by Takagi

ohh just saw this, hope no one minds me posting my lil set up for Max. please ignor the cardboard at the moment heh was best I had to hand till I get the silly poly sorted.... stuff makes a hell of a mess

Max's home:

had to open up for his water change, so took a quicky while I was there :)

and finally the lil guy him self, he is quiet shy pops his head out when I change his water to watch me then scurrys away back to his hide

I can see you!!

It is always great to see people's set ups (must take some pics of mine at some point ).

Looks like Max has a great home, although one thing I did notice is that you are keeping a track of his temps using the strip thermometers at the front. These are virtually useless and you would do much better to get a digital thermometer as soon as possible, they are much more accurate and it is always a relief to be able to keep a close eye on what the temps are in their home. I like the way you have one hide covered with some foliage, will make Max feel very secure and looks good!

You say that he is quite shy but just the fact that he pops his head out to have a look when you have your hand in changing his water is a really good sign !

xxx

ohh no, I do have a digi one dont worry :) they just came with the starter set so I stuck em at the front... thought if you got em may as well do somthing with them

and the past few night he has been playing with them... well moving them some where he likes them to be more.. go is going through his Ikea moments atm I think heh
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  12:24:49  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Looks nice and cosey in there Takagi, might post some of mine after they've shed and had a nice clean out.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  12:48:59  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
some reli nice set-ups here... supose shud b a good girl n get some of my done n show them of :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  19:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here are Goonie and Dingers's houses!

i've just got myself a 3 story 3ft viv stack though (for £150!)
i cant decide to give my snakies a nice proper viv each (then maybe get another, obviously for the spare one lol)
or to move my 2 groups of leos to it... hmm
what are your thoughts guys?
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  20:10:14  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What are the leos in and how many are there?

Are your corn snakes big enough and or confident enough for a 3 foot viv?

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  21:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just measured Goonie and he was about 32 inches long (wow!)
...Dinger was wiggling but she is a little smaller - they both seem really happy and active snakes though

and i have 2 groups of 3 leos :)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  04:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to bump an old topic but Natalie asked for pics of the paper binder I use to seal the gap between the glass of my vivs....so thought it was about time I showed what my vivs look like.

Kellog's Viv

Right hand side (cool end)

Left hand side (warm end). This shows the paper binder very well. Bit unsightly but better than having him rubbing his nose along the glass edge and making it sore and perfect for stopping a little one escape (red was all we had available at the time!)

Silvesta's viv (before anyone screams loudly the dial thermometers came with the viv when we got Kellog in it....I do have a digital thermometer in there monitoring the heat!)

Right hand side (cool end)

Left hand side (warm end). Stones at the back are what is used to hold the probes down otherwise he moves them.

A couple of weeks after taking these pics did a viv clean out, changed branch so it was facing other way, swapped hides round....so now looks totally different!

Both snakes love climbing the branches, which is lovely to watch and one reason why I am so happy to have vivs rather than RUBS.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 22/05/2010 04:25:31
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  10:17:38  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow that's awesome Kellog! Are the branches just the ones outside from a garden?

We also need to see more pictures of your snakes ;)

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  10:32:33  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Both snakes love climbing the branches, which is lovely to watch and one reason why I am so happy to have vivs rather than RUBS.

My Rocky is in a RUB and you can see through them fine. He climbs alot, he dosn't have a branch at the minute but has his plastic plants and a vine which i twisted around and suspended in the middle of his RUB.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  11:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Building Alpha a viv at the moment,for when he`s a bigger boy,so will post piccys when done.Just need to get runners and glass,having a job finding runners at mo,without spending a fortune for them,and only need 28",got to buy 8ft lenght,working out cheaper to buy a Vivotics LX viv than making one at the mo.But im enjoying making it with my son Tom,afterall its his snakePlus i think i gonna stand it on matching a pedastall.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  04:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:

My Rocky is in a RUB and you can see through them fine. He climbs alot, he dosn't have a branch at the minute but has his plastic plants and a vine which i twisted around and suspended in the middle of his RUB.

My apologies Danny. This followed a discussion had on theRep between having vivs or RUBs and I must admit that all the pics I have seen of RUBs have been taken from above and the plastic has been opaque so that you cant see through it clearly....but I shouldnt have generalised like that. Can you get RUBs big enough for adults that would allow the same view?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  04:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Missed It

having a job finding runners at mo,without spending a fortune for them,and only need 28"

3ft for just over 4 quid. Job done.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3ft-VIVARIUM-GLASS-RUNNERS-4mm-top-bottom-BLACK-/220518261525?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item3357e9a315
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  09:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Bio.
Ordered with vents and handles.
Was gonna get 8ft ones,then rather than waste it,which means ill have to build anotherViv ,OOHH then that means ill have to get another snake.but the other half dont see it like that.lol

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  11:31:57  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

My apologies Danny. This followed a discussion had on theRep between having vivs or RUBs and I must admit that all the pics I have seen of RUBs have been taken from above and the plastic has been opaque so that you cant see through it clearly....but I shouldnt have generalised like that. Can you get RUBs big enough for adults that would allow the same view?

xxx

There not completely transparent but you can see through them if you get the "clear" ones, but you can also get them in solid colours so some may have had RUBs that you can't see through.

The largest would be a bit tight for a fully grown corn, but are good for inbetween a large flat faun and a 3ft viv as that jump in size is quite large.

Rocky has a 84 litre RUB which is the second largest one and he is just shorter than the longest side. I'm glad i got that one though as i was going to get a smaller one but he loves it.

I'll post some pics of Rockies RUB later if you want.

Edit: Here is Rockies RUB, see how its not completely clear but sort of cloudy.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 23/05/2010 20:08:45
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  22:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The largest would be a bit tight for a fully grown corn

Wrong

MANY breeders and normal keepers keep their adult corns in 50ltr RUBs and they are quite happy, feed well and breed, shed, poo and grow without issues.

So saying that the LARGEST size of RUB, the 145ltr would be too tight is clearly wrong.

I prefer vivs and will always move my snakes into stacks when they are old enough, but that certainly does not mean that they could not live quite happily their whole life in a RUB.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  22:39:33  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Please don't just dismiss another member's opinion as 'wrong'. I too would not be happy keeping an adult Corn or Royal in a 50L RUB, but know many that do, does that mean I'm wrong too?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  22:54:58  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It is advised that once the snake is bigger than the length + width of its enclosure its time for a bigger viv/RUB/tank, the internal dimensions of a 145 litre RUB comes to around 4foot so for some corns would be fine and for some a little on the small side.

The internal dimensions of a 50 litre RUB add upto just over 3foot which for most could be seen as being a little on the small side.

I did not state that a corn would not live happilly in one of these RUBs.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 23/05/2010 22:57:00
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  23:19:15  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have Char in a 34ltr RUB, it has a fair bit of length and depth to it although admittedly, not a lot of height but she's fine in it at the moment and she's a very small snake. I did get worried moving her into the RUB from her old viv but it fits her fine. Besides it's only temporary until I get a new viv this week.

I prefer wooden vivs as they look nicer although the only fault I have with them is that they can be marked kind of easily and the lower to the ground they are, the more easily they will get marked ^^;
Were on earth do you find a 145ltr RUB? O.O; Kinda got me really interested now...

One of the hatchlings um... food containers. Sorry it's so dark. The other one looks exactly like it except it has black stones and a green bin ;)

Digital thermometer and probes were all taken out when I cleaned it out while the snakes were in another RUB eating (hopefully)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  23:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Please don't just dismiss another member's opinion as 'wrong'. I too would not be happy keeping an adult Corn or Royal in a 50L RUB, but know many that do, does that mean I'm wrong too?

If you had actually read my post instead of just reacting to it you would of noticed that i did not say that i would consider a 50ltr RUB big enough, what i did say is that many people do keep adult snakes in those sizes of rubs quite happily, shedding, pooing and otherwise functioning without issue. This is just a fact, not a personal opinion. I have no snakes in these sizes of enclosures so cannot comment from personal experience.

As also stated in my original posts, i prefer vivs to RUB's and would not keep my adult snakes in them regardless of size.

And as for dismissing other peoples comments as wrong, this is a forum with opinions, if my opinion is that he is wrong... deal with it. I would likewise tell you that you are wrong without a moments hesitancy if i thought you were, and of course that would be my opinion... nothing more.

Danny, i see you have read at least one care sheet and have decided to pass on the information as gospel (in most topics on the forum). Snake keeping is never one rule for all and perfectly by the book... so following 'advised' size guides is not always the way to go. So many snakes out there are happier in tighter living spaces than are 'advised'.

So you did not say it would not be happy, fine. So why exactly would you put a happy snake in a larger enclosure just because YOU think it should be in one? This is clearly a case of the owners preferences coming before the snakes.

You say a 145ltr rub would be too tight for a snake yet you also say that you did not say the snake would be unhappy in that size of RUB... so what is it, is it too small and therefore uncomfortable for the snake or adequate and comfortable for the snake? You cannot have it both ways if you read what you have written. It is either unhappy due to a lack of space or happy with the tighter enclosure. Choose

Edited by - n/a on 23/05/2010 23:40:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000