Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

smiffy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  11:47:18  Show Profile  Click to see smiffy89's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
personally i cant see a major problem with live feeding if its needed so be it.out of personal prefrence im goin to feed boppers(live thats bin hit on head)as i can gather from info + common sense,the less time from been killed to been eaten the better the nutrional value.i allways fed my collection of fish on live food so cant see why any 1 has a problem really.i suppose its allways goin to be a big talking point so thats my 2 peneth's worth.
Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  13:16:14  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't see a problem with it if its necessary, it's not much different that putting loads of mice in a tub and gassing them with CO2. I wouldn't want to do it unless its absolutely necessary though cos I wouldn't want to injure my snake.

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  16:36:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smiffy89

out of personal prefrence im goin to feed boppers(live thats bin hit on head)

i think the technical term you're looking for is 'fresh killed'
and you do usually get quite an enthusiastic feeding response from the snake!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  17:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by smiffy89

out of personal prefrence im goin to feed boppers(live thats bin hit on head)

i think the technical term you're looking for is 'fresh killed'
and you do usually get quite an enthusiastic feeding response from the snake!

Boppers sounds much cooler though...lol

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  09:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drchino

I don't see a problem with it if its necessary, it's not much different that putting loads of mice in a tub and gassing them with CO2. I wouldn't want to do it unless its absolutely necessary though cos I wouldn't want to injure my snake.

Technically thats the only time you are actually allowed to do it!!!

Dont forget though, even a cornsnake is a natural killer, they are exceptional at it.
Dont forget also, a snakes feeding response to a frozen defrost is totally totally different to a fresh kill or a live response.

Go to Top of Page

slix
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2010 :  16:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
speaking of how fair / unfair acceptable & unacceptable feeding live prey is to your snake does anybody know how the mice, pinkies , fuzzies rats ect that we buy frozen are killed (i genuinly don't have a clue) but is that humane and unacceptable because i guarantee they havn't died of natural causes !!!ect

Edited by - slix on 15/12/2010 16:06:28
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2010 :  16:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slix

speaking of how fair / unfair acceptable & unacceptable feeding live prey is to your snake does anybody know how the mice, pinkies , fuzzies rats ect that we buy frozen are killed (i genuinly don't have a clue) but is that humane and unacceptable because i guarantee they havn't died of natural causes !!!ect

the ones we buy are killed with CO2 chambers.
It is probably one of the most humane ways to kill something - from what i understand just enough CO2 is pumped into a chamber for them to go to sleep, then the ammount is upped and they slip off/suffocate in their sleep
Go to Top of Page

slix
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2010 :  13:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks alot figs i appreciate ur answer and thanks for teaching me sumink new
Go to Top of Page

Carson1915
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2010 :  14:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You feed lizards live food, albeit insects, however i agree live feeding should only be used in certain circumstances

Admin - Signiture image too large - please resize

1 Wild type Corn - F - Carson
1 bearmese Mountain Dog - Boston

Wishlist:

Royal Python
Hognose
Iguana
Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  20:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slix

I breed my own mice for my snakes, and I have to add that the way mass produced mice are killed is not a concern to me compared to how they live. Mouse farms keep them in very cramped conditions, often 50 mice in a tub with no cover or exercise equipment.

As an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZqpnIylN6E

Now surely if you love snakes you can't completely disregard these creatures as well. They're actually quite fun when the snakes are hiding or sleeping (you know, most of the time)

IMO cervical dislocation is the quickest (instantaneous) and most humane way to euthanize.

Simon
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  20:59:14  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
apprently...if the rspca find out you get chrged for two things...
harming a mouse
and harming the snake...

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2010 :  21:01:22  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simonw

[quote]Originally posted by slix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZqpnIylN6E

snakie heaven?

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  18:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i personally couldnt do it unless it was life threatening not to. id be to worried my snakey would get hurt. also i saw a mouse get killed by a spider when i was in the desert and id rather not have to see my snake doing that every time feed day comes round!

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  21:42:38  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stotty01

apprently...if the rspca find out you get chrged for two things...
harming a mouse
and harming the snake...

That's not entirely accurate.
If you live feed then you do, it's NOT illegal. To give a better analagy of it, I shall use dogs as I have done in the past.

When dogs have a scrap (be it a meeting in the park or in the garden) that's all it is, a small scrap. However if I organised for the dogs to fight to show other people, then it's illegal.
It's the same with feeding live foods to snakes.

If it's done for the right reasons, then there's nothing wrong with it, if it's done simply because you want to see your snake kill prey then it's illegal.

That's the difference between survival and entertainment.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Tulip
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  11:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KITTYCAT

personally i couldnt use live prey i think it is cruel it took me long enough to get over looking at the wee frozen mice ( im a bit soft that way) im a great believer in you wont miss what you've never had ( if your snake has never had a live feed b4 then dont do it)

exactly how i feel, i didnt really want to watch the first few times with a defrosted mouse and couldnt not watch a live mouse getting attacked and eaten, and i agree that if they have never had it and dont need it then why do it?

i see ALOT of horrible videos on youtube especially with snakes eating live rabbits or chicks etc, they should all be banned! if they are filming it, its for entertainment? correct? and posting on the internet, for views, entertainment.? Yes! i call it the kill factor, especially now adays with the internet, and how quick a video can get viewed. people sometimes buy the animals to entertain themselves/ other sick people with the kill factor of them eating live food. people like this shouldnt have the animals.

conclusion - if its for your snakes wellbeing, and to stay alive, and every other option has been tried, then fair enough.
i would find it nescessary to feed live food.
if ifs for entainment/ being filmed then these people shouldnt have the animals in the first place.

rant over. sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Cornflake1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  19:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
* MOD edit, this is a pointless post if you are going to post can you please make it constructive or at least relevant

Bethany Carruthers
5 years experiance
2 cornsnakes - still own
1 rainbow boa- has been sold

Edited by - gmac on 08/01/2011 20:12:07
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  12:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
intersting topic...im not against live feeding on principle, if the snake benefits from it then the mouse/rat/dog* etc was going to die any way so it isnt a problem for me morally. i think it gets bad press because a lot of peole who do it are unfortuantely doing it for the "wrong" reasons (obviously "wrong" is my opinion) like entertainment or showing off and these people are typically the people who arn't 100% capable of caring for their pets anyway, so when the snake gets injured, its wounds go untreated etc.

In some cases like GP's where the snake needs live prey to survive, i have no problem with it at all, i would do whatever it takes to ensure my snakes' health and if that means the creature dies after going in the viv, as opposed to a week before, i cant see the harm. the beauty of course in this, and similar, cases is that Gingerpony knows what she is doing and if she didnt, the snake wouldnt have got this far so its safe to assume that, god forbid, the snake should receive an injury,it will be cared for and nursed after properly and safely to minimise risks. i feel thats all that can be asked.

i PERSONALLY do not live feed because of the inherent risk to my snakes (as well as the vast impracticalites of me keeping the necessary rodents. the danger comes from people typically using the phrase "well, in the wild..." and explaining how wild snakes will dispatch the prey with seeming ease. as we all know, the reason we all seek captive bred creatures where possible is because they are more docile, less aggresive and therefore not usually anywhere near as adept at hunting as their wild cousins. i can say without a shadow of a doubt that only my royal would survive a live prey enounter because i have worked so hard to mimic live prey since he was a hatchling. the others, which i have adopted or are younger, are all lazy feeders and i feel would come off much worse than a mouse or rat in a scrap. i am trying to get them to ophion's stage of accurate striking and proper constriction and it would be beneficial to do so as it opens up my options should any of them ever end up in a position like GP's boa where its eother live or force feeding.

The argument "its more natural to feed live" never holds much sway with me though, its not natural to keep them in a 4 foot glass box but thats what we're doing so if thats how you feel, you probably shouldnt have bought them as pets in the first place! that isnt me saying, "dont keep snakes as pets, its not natural" obviously im just saying that in the case of live feeding, its a self defeating argument to bring nature into it.

in conclusion, i have no objection to live feeding when done by sensible people who have done the necessary research, can provide the necessary care for the snake should the worst happen and are doing it for the "right" reasons, whatever they deem those to be. i can say pretty confidently that everyone i have met on here so far falls into that category so anyone who does live feed and is reading this shouldnt be offended by any of it, im sure that the snake is in the best possible care.

*the dog example is used for humour purposes, i dont actually feed dogs to snakes...and neither should you probably! ;)

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  12:32:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tulip

quote:
Originally posted by KITTYCAT

personally i couldnt use live prey i think it is cruel it took me long enough to get over looking at the wee frozen mice ( im a bit soft that way) im a great believer in you wont miss what you've never had ( if your snake has never had a live feed b4 then dont do it)

exactly how i feel, i didnt really want to watch the first few times with a defrosted mouse and couldnt not watch a live mouse getting attacked and eaten

i see exaxtly where your coming from but i think, as a pet owner, you have to remove the fluffy cute mouse image in your head from the snake food in the freezer. my gf is the same, as was my brother first time round, but i ignore it and just see it as food, in the same way i dont think about the lil bunnies that get ground up for rabbit flavoured dog food...if you go to a moral place with things like this you just make yourself feel bad. easier said than done maybe...

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  12:53:21  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i dont really have a problem with it aswell, if a snake is used to live food and you tried feeding it fresh killed or dead and still no take...live is the only option

1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  12:54:10  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
its also to us like drinking warm milk and cold milk...somepeople like it diffrently, so same with snakes i guess

1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000