Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

nixipixi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  13:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im not sure how my snakey would react to live prey......even if i wiggle a mouse in front of her she just casually takes it and chows down! maybe she is a wimp? I think if they readily eat pre killed with no problems then stick to it, but obviously some do not and will not accept anything but live, there is definately a fine line between feeding live for fun and feeding for necessity, I have heard a few people chatting about the enjoyment of watching their snake kill its prey but again is it enjoyment of the snake feeding naturally or the deed itself being "entertaining"?

3 Horses (holly, twiggy and beanie) 2 yorkshire terriers (ben and tessa) 23 chickens (theres no way im typing their names!) 2 c0ckatiels (rocky and pepsi) 1 cat (tipsy) 1 crow (paul) 1 chilean rose tarantula (charlie) 1 dumbo rat (splinter) and last but DEFINATELY not least.....1 Rootbeer corn...JYNX! my lil sidekick

SOON TO COME! western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  13:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah thats the toughie... i dont KNOW but if i had to feed ophion live, i might well enjoy it as a kind of side effect but i wouldnt feed live BECAUSE i enjoy it you know?

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  18:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay... I'm awaiting the "you a sicko" remarks.

I would ENJOY watching one of my snakes kill a live mouse. Feeding my snakes is one of the best parts of the hobby and live feeding is surely as good as it gets. However, I would not do it JUST INCASE one of my snakes did get hurt having not dealt with live before. Although I am convinced Stella would be fine and not get hurt. Her strike and constrict is unreal. There is also the point that having been fed live once they may refuse defrost mice in future.

People who say they couldn't live feed even if there snakes life depended on it are very shallow minded in my opinion.

You are keeping an animal that is equipped to hunt and kill small rodents yet the very thought of it doing what comes most natural is cruel?

Just my 2 penneth.

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  22:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont believe in "the only option" I'm a little bit stubborn, they told me the only option with a snake that doesnt feed from the beginning is to dispose of it, its defective. I didn't like that idea, 18 months later and 2 foot long my little retard, though probably small for his age (although a snake lover this is my first and I'm clueless though not stupid enough to actually buy a snake that didn't feed) is finally striking on his own.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  22:21:05  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
heres my views on live feeding.

I would have no trouble at all giving my snakes live mice if that is what it takes for them to eat.

I would NOT use it as a last resort, that will always be force feeding which I have done a few times and both myself and the snakes hated doing it.

Live feeding should ALWAYS be supervised (WITHOUT the video camera running and WITHOUT a crowd of mates round to watch) and if the snake shows no interest, or either animal is showing signs of stress then the mouse is taken out.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  23:43:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm struggling with the concept of live feeding a snake in a vivarium as natural.

In the wild the snake doesn't suddenly find itself in a fixed enclosure with a mouse or rat in there with it with no place to run.

It secrets itself in an ambush and waits patiently for it's dinner to walk by then strikes.

That's why these magnificent creatures get injured when you throw the rattled rodent in there with them.

I can cope with the practice of throwing the snake a recently killed mouse/rat, but can't understand putting live prey in the Viv
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  20:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimClynes

I'm struggling with the concept of live feeding a snake in a vivarium as natural.

In the wild the snake doesn't suddenly find itself in a fixed enclosure with a mouse or rat in there with it with no place to run.

It secrets itself in an ambush and waits patiently for it's dinner to walk by then strikes.

That's why these magnificent creatures get injured when you throw the rattled rodent in there with them.

I can cope with the practice of throwing the snake a recently killed mouse/rat, but can't understand putting live prey in the Viv

That's why its supervised, generally live feeding is an option used when either you are getting a baby to feed, or a snake that hasn't eaten for ages.
What you have to think about is whether your better off introducing a mouse to a chilled snake, or stressing as snake to introduce to a mouse. Most snakes are opportunistic feeders, a mouse comes along, bang, food. Introducing a mouse isn't that stressful for the snake, mostly they get excited about it, I got bitten yesterday because she thought I was food, opportunity.
People keep saying about injuries, the only time they get injured is when they are left alone and not interested, the chances of a mouse getting through the scales is minimal, they can't even break my skin, let alone scales.
Yes I do live feed, royals and boas, and only because I have to, never had any injuries.

Go to Top of Page

paul9115
Snake Mite

14 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  07:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the majority of people here feeding live prey just for kicks is wrong and people who do that just to put it on YouTube and laugh about it should be banned from keeping any sort of animal for life. But on the other hand if it was the ONLY WAY I could get my snake to eat I would do it I hope it never comes to it because I've seen him try to take f/t mice and he can't even get that right half the time lol (he ain't that bright but I'm fond of him :-) )
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  12:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any problems at all with live feeding.

If needed I would live feed my snakes without hesitation.

I don't know about my corns but I know my boa and king would have no problem with live prey!

I will also be breeding my own feeder mice soon and will be able to offer them to the snakes fresh killed

Edited by - Invalid User on 05/03/2011 13:06:31
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  16:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul9115

I agree with the majority of people here feeding live prey just for kicks is wrong and people who do that just to put it on YouTube and laugh about it should be banned from keeping any sort of animal for life. But on the other hand if it was the ONLY WAY I could get my snake to eat I would do it I hope it never comes to it because I've seen him try to take f/t mice and he can't even get that right half the time lol (he ain't that bright but I'm fond of him :-) )

What you are agreeing with is the fact that it is illegal to do that, thats what the law is, its illegal to feed live for entertainment, and with an audience for entertainment.

As for feeding corns live, i can assure you, they are very very capable of taking down an adult mouse, my large anery motley has live every now and again, only once she missed and i had to pry her from herself, it was a quick mouse, she didnt make the same mistake twice.
Your snakes know the difference between live, fresh kill, and defrost, maybe not the same way we do, but they smell different, they move differently, i have seen this with mine, i did a little test, i tried an enthusiastic fresh kill feeder on defrost, he wasnt so keen, and i tried a quiet, not so energetic defrost feeder on fresh kill, she was lightning fast, and deadly accurate.

Dont think that because its a cornsnake that its any less a killer than any other snake, or animal for that matter, dont think that because they are lazy defrost feeders that they will be lazy with fresh killed or live, wrapping your snake in cotton wool will acheive totally nothing at all.

A snake killing its food has totally nothing to do with protecting its habitat, or anything similar, its purely a necessity for life.

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  22:28:21  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i live fed 3 days ago for the 1st time - luna one of my (young) hogg island boa's when we got her she was a little underwieght and had'nt eaten for almost 12 weeks after we got her and after trying everything from braining to car rides felt this was the next option and it worked! although i did not enjoy it at all! almost felt guilty but at the end of the day my snakes have priority over most things as my pets, passion and responsability

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!

Edited by - mikeyd_26 on 08/03/2011 22:31:39
Go to Top of Page

goodboy1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  00:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would not do it but if i had to it would be the last thing to try then yes i would do it only if it was the last thing only
Go to Top of Page

jase81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  17:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if i had to do it i would

0.0.2 corns
0.2.0 dogs
0.2.0 tokay geckos
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  17:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goodboy1

i would not do it but if i had to it would be the last thing to try then yes i would do it only if it was the last thing only

I wouldnt do it, but i would too.

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  13:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another reason live feeding should be a real last resort and always supervised no matter what.
http://www.iherp.com/Public/Blog/Detail.aspx?UID=74609

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  15:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

Another reason live feeding should be a real last resort and always supervised no matter what.
http://www.iherp.com/Public/Blog/Detail.aspx?UID=74609

I don't think live feeding should be a last resort.

Assist feeding and force feeding are more stressful for a snake and live feeding can be tried before these methods.

Done properly, live feeding is safe :)
Go to Top of Page

centricmalteser2
Banned

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  15:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Louise, force feeding/assist feeding is more stressful, especially since they may assosciate that taste with stress and I think may put them off food for longer

The only downside to live feeding, is although you have to supervise it, it tends to be mice bigger than fuzzies that cause damage when they have claws and teeth to fight back, and since it is a confined space, snakey can't escape like he could do in the wild

here couple of videos of mice attack snakes albeit not a corn, but illustrates potential dangers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkyCAxnVGVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qtJdJPOhzU&feature=related

and the prob you also is some corns prefer to eat without being watched, like in a dark place, in their hide, out of view.

I would think I would try everything first, warming mouse, braining, mouse in a small tub with snakey in warm dark place, leaveing it a week, smaller size,

then I would try live food

if only then, and still snakey was losing weight would i consider assist/force feeding

EDIT: in regards to the link that was posted by another membe rof the python, I would think that would be in worse case and extreme cases, because I don't think that would be from just 20 minutes of leaving mouse with snakey.

If it's a scratch or small bite, snakey can heal, through shedding, and when they are injured they do more or less if scales need repairing go into shed mode (bit like humans and fight or flight), though a snake being stressed through force feeding, is a lot worse

Edited by - centricmalteser2 on 28/04/2011 15:39:05
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  17:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt a mouse is going to do much damage to a snake. I keep live mice, they have bitten me, it doesn't hurt or break the skin and I would be very surprised if it could bite through a snakes scales.

Rats however are a whole different ball game. They can, as the above pics illustrate, bite through a snake with no trouble.

Feeding live mice is not a big danger, feeding live rats you have to be very careful.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  19:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

I doubt a mouse is going to do much damage to a snake. I keep live mice, they have bitten me, it doesn't hurt or break the skin and I would be very surprised if it could bite through a snakes scales.

Rats however are a whole different ball game. They can, as the above pics illustrate, bite through a snake with no trouble.

Feeding live mice is not a big danger, feeding live rats you have to be very careful.

^^^^^ this completely.

Go to Top of Page

Cornsnakeluver127
Egg

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2011 :  22:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i personally feed my two snakes frozen/ thawed but im not against feeding live, i would never do it for entertainment (is there really people that sick?...) but if it came down to it and there was a snake that would only eat live, its kinda just the natures of the snake...

amel: conan
normal: monty

WISHLIST
ball pythons :D
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000