Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

ntbryenton-rochard
Hatchling

165 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2011 :  09:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't live feed. When I got my first batch of frozen mice my toddler asked me if they were sleeping. Bless her, I had to laugh!

1.2.0 kids (Joshua-14, Katie-6 Holly-3)
1.0.0 Corn snake (Amazon-16 months)
1.0.0 Whites tree frog (Froggy-unknown age but owned for 3 years)
0.1.0 Dog (Sophie-11 years)
1.0.0 Cat (Charlie-9 years)
1.0.0 Guineapig (Rox-8 months)
0.1.0 Rabbit (Snowball-3 years)
Go to Top of Page

james brady
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2011 :  21:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Live feeding is so so cruel and there is no need for it , I can only see people doing it for kicks and for no other reason plus irresponsible as and adult mouse will fight back and could injure your snake. DO YOU WANT THAT TO HAPPEN .
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2011 :  23:01:24  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No one wants their snakes to get injured, I however know without a shadow of doubt that if the need arose for any of my snakes to be fed live, then I wouldn't think twice about it. I would never do it just to see how they get on with it, it would only be used as last resort.
Adult mice can fight back and cause injuries, yes. That's why they should never be left alone with prey. It's the dropping a mouse/rat in then walking away and checking a couple hours later that is irresponsible.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2011 :  14:29:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by james brady

Live feeding is so so cruel and there is no need for it , I can only see people doing it for kicks and for no other reason plus irresponsible as and adult mouse will fight back and could injure your snake. DO YOU WANT THAT TO HAPPEN .

what an ill-informed post!!!

if you have a non-feeder snake do you want it to die? you want it to starve to death? is that not cruel? and is there any need for it??

what do you actually know about live feeding? what is your actual experience??

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

james brady
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2011 :  23:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IS that your answer to every thread what do you know seems like it to me , should I be so humble . lord of the corn world
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2011 :  23:29:40  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If people say things that are both ridiculous and (as far as we know) voiced with no experience or knowledge then it's a justified response.

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2011 :  23:32:51  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as said before live feeding is sometimes nessacery (spelling?!) and is only cruel in circumstances when it is not needed or done for pleasure. i have live fed a few times now due to one of my snakes not taking fresh killed or frozen/thawed so she survives or would it be less cruel for her to starve? (no in my opinion because my snakes are my priority i choose to look after them and they are MY responsibility)
P.S I think you will find its lady not lord!

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

james brady
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2011 :  23:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just because I'm new on here does not mean I'm new to snakes.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2011 :  23:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nobody has said your new to snakes, just your experience of live feeding.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  12:27:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by james brady

IS that your answer to every thread what do you know seems like it to me , should I be so humble . lord of the corn world

thanks mikeyd yes i'm a lady not a lord, i won't be told black is white by somebody who doesn't know any different. your initial post in this thread belies your experience with snakes.

but, as i might well be wrong, as an example, you have a boa, a species notorious for being tricky feeders, he's losing weight and as he slides through your hands you can feel every rib. his history is feeding 4 times in 12 months for his previous owner. he's big enough to get extremely stressed when trying to assist and force feeds so IN YOUR EXPERIENCE what do you do?

here's your chance to wow everyone with your knowledge and experience. and if it's any good, hell i'll give anything a go so he doesn't die.

Go to Top of Page

Lixra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
286 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  12:59:22  Show Profile  Click to see Lixra's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've fed live once, and this was in the States. Over there, if you want to feed live, you feed live. If you don't, you feed frozen or prekilled. It's not as taboo as it is over here. I was told by our petshop (and being young, naive and a bit retarded I believed what they were telling me of course) that it was more natural for the snake to feed live. The only good advice they gave me was that to make sure the snake ate the mouse because otherwise it could injure it if the snake isn't hungry. So I bought some pinkies and went home to feed to our young corn snake Clayton. The sounds I heard made me cry, and I basically ostracized him for a week because of what he did. Never have fed live again.

Of course, now over here in the UK... if I had a non feeder and had to feed live, yes I would, but as a last resort. And I'm buying earplugs!

Go to Top of Page

kabigat
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  20:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would only live feed if I had to.
I have watched live feeding on u tube and I wasn't really comfy with it.
If anybody chooses to do it then go for it as long as it's not just for fun!
P.s. I think it's p..s my sides funny when you lot start arguing.
Go to Top of Page

kelfezond
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  22:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If live mice were easily accessible and it was fully legal in the UK then I'd switch to live feeding tomorrow. Would be so, so much easier.
Go to Top of Page

awlred
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  08:13:10  Show Profile  Visit awlred's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a friend in the States who kept a ball python and bred the mice he fed, and he fed live. I was staying with him on a feeding day during my last trip and witnessed it.

Though I did feel bad for the mouse, there was something....I'm not sure of the right word...let's just say "something" about seeing a snake acting as a snake that I did find quite interesting.

This said, I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to do it, and certainly not with pinkies.

I'd not condemn a person for their choice and if mine ever develops a feeding problem then I would do it in a heartbeat.

Just a couple of cents on the issue

0.0.1 Amel Corn Snake - Essfer
0.1.0 Wife Jules/Squeefluff
0.0.100s Coffee Things ;)
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  18:23:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
feeding live is pretty commonplace in many countries, in the UK there are rules to follow to safeguard the prey and the snake

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2011 :  21:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with GP, you are completely ill informed and its an utter moronic post.
Live feeding is in some cases completely reasonable, in some cases its the best option, as for it being cruel, are you gonna go and hunt down every snake in the wild in a bid to protect all the little furries out there that are on the menu??
Snakes eat live all the time, its what they are built to do, and i can assure you that they do it very well! Beleive me, i do have extensive experience feeding live, corns royals and boas.

For all those who are dead set against live feeding, if you are the kind of person who is lobbying for animals rights, then you should be aware that within those rights is the issue of live feeding, by forcing people to keep animals as they would be kept in the wild, you are infact encouraging live feeding.

I have said it before, Cornsnakes are not some creature that you need to wrap in cotton wool and molly coddle, they are born hunters, and certainly born killers, just because they were born captive does not mean that they are born without the natural instincts that god gave them.
wrapping them in cotton wool does them no favours at all, snakes are what they are, they are natural born killers, by refusing to feed them live in the circumstances where it is needed is cruel to the snake.
snakes are higher up the food chain, its life, its nature, there is nothing you can do to change that, if you dont like it, dont keep snakes, it really is that simple.

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2011 :  10:37:43  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive only had Eddie a lil over a week now but the amount of people that have asked me if i feed him live food ..if i had a penny for every one i reckon id have enough money to buy Eddie a big viv (though he doesnt need one)
luckily for me Eddies been reared on f/t mice i dont think i would buy a snake knowing id have to feed it live food it just goes against the grain for me that said however i could never in a million years judge or condemn those who live feed because of need (for enertainment or sick kicks is a diffrent matter) for for the likes of gingerponys Boa it certainly seems the only way to ensure the survival of the snake and as far as im concerned my animals needs far outweigh my feelings toward certain things if a messy horrible or unpleasant job needs to done done for the animals sake ill do it
how could i not? cant say id like it id feel terrible god forbid the day arrives that i ever have to feed Eddie live food because it is something i would struggle with but its part and parcel of snake keeping for some people and they should not be condemned because of it
I have a large (and still growing) Oscar and i dont even feed him live food except earthworms

I really think that people should take a step back and walk a mile in somebodys shoes before they judge them
Especially in the case of gp's Boa gp clearly has a wealth of experiance and knowledge and knows what she is doing i doubt shed be live feeding unless it was absolutely nessacery

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

btcc11
having a break...

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  01:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People say it's right because it's life and happens in the wild.

Yes that's true it happens in the wild but putting it in a snakes environment isn't natural and these are the reasons why.

1.Most snakes including corns are ambush hunters so if the rodent is put in it's tank it's not natural hunting.

2.The rodent has nowhere to go so it's only choice is to fight(They can hurt the snake badly)

3.It's inhumane on the rodent whereas the pre-killed rodents are killed more humane(at least in the UK they are)

4.Lastly it isn't life/natural because in the wild they have a chance to escape in essentially a cage they don't.

Not natural on either animals, cruel even.

Just to add to that, there is a video on YoutTube of a rabbit(Domestic) being put in front of a python in a house and being eaten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHTdOeKYX

Not right at all, in the wild the snake would hunt it and the rabbit would of known to run and maybe had a chance but this rabbit is obviously domestic and has never seen a snake.

I do admit as a last resort(Snake wont touch anything) it's the right thing to do.

Also thoughts on people who do it for a laugh/entertainment?

The United Kingdom isn't a country! Add England fool!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  02:30:05  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by btcc11

People say it's right because it's life and happens in the wild.

Yes that's true it happens in the wild but putting it in a snakes environment isn't natural and these are the reasons why.

1.Most snakes including corns are ambush hunters so if the rodent is put in it's tank it's not natural hunting.

2.The rodent has nowhere to go so it's only choice is to fight(They can hurt the snake badly)

3.It's inhumane on the rodent whereas the pre-killed rodents are killed more humane(at least in the UK they are)

4.Lastly it isn't life/natural because in the wild they have a chance to escape in essentially a cage they don't.

Not natural on either animals, cruel even.

Just to add to that, there is a video on YoutTube of a rabbit(Domestic) being put in front of a python in a house and being eaten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHTdOeKYX

Not right at all, in the wild the snake would hunt it and the rabbit would of known to run and maybe had a chance but this rabbit is obviously domestic and has never seen a snake.

I do admit as a last resort(Snake wont touch anything) it's the right thing to do.

Also thoughts on people who do it for a laugh/entertainment?

1. I've never seen a captive snake be very good at ambush hunting frozen/thawed food. It simply doesn't move to near where the reptile is waiting in ambush.

2. the rodent is food, anyone who is stupid enough to put live food into a reptile viv for food and walks away is a plank.

3. I've eaten oysters, is that inhumane as well??

4. But our reptiles eat better, I see no problem there.

The rabbit in that vid is a rabbit bred specifically for reptile food. Surely the answer is simple, if you don't like the video or how it's titled then don't click the link.

People who do it for entertainment are planks and as such are breaking the law.

Unfortunately the amount of times that people go through lists of feeding live (or prekilled if you read any anti-exotic propaganda) makes no sense when those same people will happily go to mcdonalds for some foods.
I personally don't care where/how my rodents are killed to feed my snakes, my snakes need food so they get fed.
I need food, so I get fed. It's my choice on if I eat beef, pork, cat or snake. (Garfield is yummy btw)

/edited to add:
I could just copy/paste my answer from Yahoo answers, but then I might miss out vital info that stops the vid from getting linked correctly.

Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  09:24:55  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
But Kehhlyr did the oysters have the desired effect :)

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000