Average weight
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  22:31:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have searched but I can find nothing. Is there a guide that shows how much the average corn should weigh based on length? There has to be some rule of thumb?

If not, how much would you say a healthy corn about 5ft would weigh? Trying to diet him and make Venom all slim but it would be helpful if there was some kind of target weight.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  22:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weight really isnt that much of an issue, all corns have different builds anyway, as long as he is not massively fat, and not dangerously skinny.
if he looks like a tent then he is too skinny, you should be able to see the back bone, but either side should be strong muscle.
Too big and you end up with 'hips' just north of the vent on the sides, also ripples down the body.
weight wise, at 5 foot, you probably looking at between 450g and 500g, a little more is not gonna hurt.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  05:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Sta~ple, slight thread-hijack here (which I KNOW we are not supposed to do....but Mike's post got me thinking....

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

........at 5 foot, you probably looking at between 450g and 500g, a little more is not gonna hurt.

Kellog is 4'6" (I think) and 750g. He doesnt look or feel at all over-weight. He feels very firm, there are no gaps where you can see his skin between his scales and he has that dip running along one side of his spine.

When he is eating he is on 1 jumbo mouse every fortnight and has been on this since this year.

Should I be worried about him Mike? If you look in the pics section you will see the most recent of him, I would love your opinion.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  20:35:48  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
at that size, i'd reckon anywhere between 500 - 750g (ish). It all depends on the snakes general build, you can get chunky muscly corns that aren't fat, or slender less well built corns that are still in top condition.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  20:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
450g is tiny for a 5ft corn snake. I would say anywhere around 650g is fine.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  21:41:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Putting it like that, and thinking a little more into it, 5ft at 450 would be a little small, but does also depend on the build of the snake.
Weight isnt so important as the general condition of the snake, a fat snake is obviously fat, and an underweight snake is obviously underweight.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  21:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, you cant put a number on it, you just have to look at the snake.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  22:15:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  23:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree! good example.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  04:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I remember that you put that description up last year and tried to find it again when someone was worried their snake was over-weight....but it had gone! I always remembered it though and it is why I am not too worried about Kellog. He is definitely not round and he feels so muscular....he certainly looks healthy enough and moves quickly enough.

But is it ok to keep to the maintenance diet of 1 jumbo fortnightly or should I change that? When he decides to start eating again that is !!!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  06:35:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mine adult male gets 1 XL mouse every 10-14 days too.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  11:56:46  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What about a snake that is almost 4ft? Char is nearly 300g... she looks normal weight to me though if anything, she is looking a bit porky around the tail but she could look that way to me because she's always has had feeding problems and now she isn't much of a problem feeder and she used to regurgitate her meals. I'm really happy how she has put on the weight now though even if she does still need some wiggling from time to time to get her to eat.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9636
She's a bit chunkier than that now though.

Venom is none of those shapes... he's oval :/ His natural shape is muscular but he's definitely obese. He has the fat tyres :/ he doesn't seem to mind but I do. His current diet is 1 jumbo mouse every month, I was thinking of maybe changing it to a medium mouse, does this sound good/wise? I know he needs to eat to get vitamins but I don't want to feed him so that he regains the weight he's lost. He was previously fed on medium or small rats, for ages as the petshop said that was fine and to feed him this every week. I only fed him every 2 weeks, I hate to think what he would be like if I fed him every week.

I think I will try my best to get him to around 750g and then see how he looks from there, I have a feeling this could take a while... Thanks guys for your help so far though.

I've also heard you can tell if there fat by looking at their head and um "neck".

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  05:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This just goes to show how different snakes are....Silvesta is approx 3'8" and last weighed in at 350g, having lost around 20g with not feeding. If anything he looks thin...he is sleek and muscular and whip like, but is shorter than Char and weighs less than she does.

I dont know what to suggest with Venom....he definitely needs nutrition and vitamins still so you cant starve him. How much weight has he lost since you changed his diet? If he is losing it slowly but steadily then there is probably no need to change, although I am not sure how healthy it is for him to go a month between feeds every feed. What about trying one large mouse every 2/3 weeks? Just remember Sta~ple, I am no expert but just trying to make suggestions based on what I have considered with Kellog.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

100 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  09:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all the posts recently about fat/overweight corns, mouse sizes/weights etc. I'd been maybe a little concerned about P; how would I know if she was overweight, what exactly does a fat snake look like and had intended to post something up to get some answers.

But thanks to this thread and BlackEcho's diagram, my mind is now at rest!

Edited by - n/a on 29/05/2010 09:31:12
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  11:04:40  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Slivester is the same length as Char! I think I will have to plump her up a bit just to be on the safe side although it is really up to her :/ I worry if she puts on anymore weigh she won't be able to go into her hides :p It's really weird to think that's she a full grown adult and so small!

I have no idea how much Venom used to weigh before I started the diet as I only recently got some scales. He's definitely lost some sort of weight I think... he seems to be shedding a bit more as well. I might I might go with your suggestion of every 2/3 weeks but I will wait and see how much size difference there is between the large and medium mice I might alter between large and medium between every feed or get some medium mice and add vitamins to his water. I am very worried and want him to loose it fast as I would probably guess that he might have lost about 100-200g before the diet in the course of nearly a year now. I've been looking at photos of when he was 4/5 and the right weight and I want him to look like that again!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  12:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Slivester is the same length as Char! I think I will have to plump her up a bit just to be on the safe side .........It's really weird to think that's she a full grown adult and so small!

I have no idea how much Venom used to weigh before I started the diet as I only recently got some scales........I am very worried and want him to loose it fast......

Dont panic too much about either of them Sta~ple. As long as you are feeding Char what you think she needs then it isnt a problem. Dont go power-feeding her cos you think she needs to put on weight.

I think the point of this thread is to show how different all snakes are and that there is no definite correct weight/size for them. Would you say she is fully grown? I am not sure what age they stop growing.

And the same, but opposite with Venom, you cant rush his weight loss as that would be dangerous....it needs to be done slow and steadily. It took him a while to put this weight on and it is going to take him a while to lose it. As long as his weight is slowly coming down then I wouldnt begin to panic about him either.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  15:15:09  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I think the point of this thread is to show how different all snakes are and that there is no definite correct weight/size for them. Would you say she is fully grown? I am not sure what age they stop growing.

And the same, but opposite with Venom, you cant rush his weight loss as that would be dangerous....it needs to be done slow and steadily. It took him a while to put this weight on and it is going to take him a while to lose it. As long as his weight is slowly coming down then I wouldnt begin to panic about him either.

xxx

She's about 7/8 this year so I would say she is well over the peak for major growth although snakes do slowly grow throughout their lives. I think she's just a small snake, some of the hatchling's that she had were tiny and the rest seemed normal sized.

Venom did most of is growing and stopped at about 3/4 and then had growth spurt when I fed him rats... I have a feeling I accidentally power fed him... I might try with large mice to start with and feed him every 3 weeks and then check his weight the next time he sheds.

I wish they made snake treadmill's :/ Thanks for the help Kellog, it makes me worry less ^^

Edited by - Sta~ple on 29/05/2010 17:38:55
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  17:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
large rats probably wouldnt help him - the high fat content wouldnt change much no matter how big the gap.. keeping him on mice is the best thing and just getting him more active

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  17:38:10  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

large rats probably wouldnt help him - the high fat content wouldnt change much no matter how big the gap.. keeping him on mice is the best thing and just getting him more active

Opps I ment to say large mice *_* I'm really sorry *_* he's get even more porky if he was on large rats :/

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000