Terrible shed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  17:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there folks, on Wednesday I looked into my adult Corns viv and spotted a tiny piece of shed skin. I then found the head and eye caps. The snake himself was sitting in a hide, and when I lifted him out he had pieces of shed skin over his neck. I let him soak for a while, then let him run through a towel, and from just behind his neck he shed complete in one piece. However he still had retained shed on his neck area. I continued the process of letting him run through the towel and the shed seemed to come off.
I fed him later that afternoon and all seemed fine. Today though he was out and about and I noticed that at the sides of his neck and under his chin there seems to be loose retained chin. I've bathed him again and let him run through the towel, which seems to have made things worse.
I'm afraid that it's actually the new skin that's flaking off. I put him back in his tank, and he's spent the last few minutes rubbing against his viv furniture. I know not to pull the skin off, but what should I do? Just keep an eye on him? Will it sort himself out with the next shed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1.0.0 Snow Corn

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  05:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am no expert Justin and I am not sure about it being new skin flaking off. It may be worthwhile swapping his usual hides for damp ones (or putting moss in his usual hides) so he HAS to use them, then put the usual hides back in (or remove the moss) after a few days, if the retained shed has been resolved that's great, if not then the few days in the damp hides will have prepared him for another try at a bath.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699

To help him out next time he sheds, once you see him go 'blue' (as in his eyes going cloudy and his scales dull) you can add an extra water bowl into his viv on top of the heat mat. Dont just move the original water bowl as your snake will not want to be drinking warm water. This will help raise the humidity which will help with his shedding.

I also mist my snakes' vivs once a day in the morning, nothing more than that as you dont want to cause the humidity to rise too much as this can cause respiratory infections.

Once his eyes have cleared you can add a damp hide which will also help.

I do hope you are able to get the rest of the retained shed off. Please let us know how he is doing.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  12:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog, with all my snakes I put in a moist hide and mist the tank when they are shedding. I think that part of the problem this time is that he didn't seem to use the damp hide as much. His previous sheds with me have been good.

Also I don't think that it's the old skin that's hanging off. I think its the new layer of skin.

Here's a couple pics to give you an idea....

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000