Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2011 :  09:30:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mistakes can be made while sexing them, it's not always 100% that's why if people do co-hab they are adults so therefore can deal with being bread if they are wrongly sex.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  19:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I house mine together, the amel is smaller and seems to follow the motley around like a sibling. Its cute but most odd, I feed seperately and leave overnight in a seperate tank so smell of food wears off. Its a large viv with lots of hides but they can often be found snuggled up together. Go figure.

Collects spores, molds and fungus ;)
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  22:41:43  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you read through the thread you will realise that the snakes aren't cuddling, they're competing for space!

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  23:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My two adult corns both nearly 5 ft in length share the same extra large cave, despite their being several in their Viv, and if they were competeing for space surely one would come out as top dog?
Go to Top of Page

Cornelia
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  14:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm off to buy a second viv: after reading this.The pet shop owner where I bought the second Corn, said Corns are quite safe to house together. One is 3 years old and 5ft 6in, and the other is 2 and half years old and 4ft 10in. They have'nt had any issues, usually curl up together, plenty of room if they want to get away from each other, fed apart though. I'm glad I found this forum today or I could have had a disaster with these two.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  14:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you read through the thread you will realise that the snakes aren't cuddling, they're competing for space!

Speaking purely about my pair that are house together i would say the above statement isn't true. They do cuddle and seriously hate been separated (even if it is just for feeding or handling - i can't manage to handle 2 5ft snakes at the same time).
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  18:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i hqve to say im with you subz. my 2 are joined at the...well body (they dont have hips) sometimes. 2 hides, 2 water bowls, 2 basking lamps, 2 plants, 1 big viv. they seperate when they want but spend most of the time curled up together. if you try and pick one up (i feed em out of the viv and one at a time [straight after each other] to minimise the risk of any mistakes being made on their part) thay hold on to each other.

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  14:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting Video here. I was emailed the link by the Northampton Reptile centre in response to an enquiry regarding a new Vivatium.

Couple of suggestions made in this video conflict with advice given on the forum. But I guess that's because there is always more than one way of baking a cake, and experienced keepers, which I am most certainly not, have learnt over the years what works best.

However, they clearly house corns together and even discuss keeping a 'colony' of corns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HIbuiaw0GQ&feature=fvst
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  13:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all have just got a large viv is it ok to keep my female `Nancy` with `Sidd` the male in the same viv ...? they are of breeding size and age would this be a problem ?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  23:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vote in my poll

http://www.snappoll.com/poll/360099.php
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2011 :  11:23:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I saw this posted on my clubs exotic page.. is this really normal? I know for rabbits it is but snakes? I have no idea.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  12:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep 2 snakes per viv - separated by sex as I don't want to breed them. I have never had any problem with agressive behaviour, one snake being stressed, competitivness for space or hides (although I make sure there are plenty across the temperature gradients in the viv) and definately no cannibalism (I know milk and king snakes are cannibals, but I hadn't heard of corns doing so before).

I have had a couple of swap arounds as with who lives with who, due a couple of my snakes being incorrectly sexed by the pet shop i got them from, but they do seem to be happier with company than when they were kept on their own. I had them when they were hatchings and they are now 2 and 3 years old, excellent eaters and shedders with no health problems or objections to being handled. They have never biten or struck. I think these are issues that do show quickly if your snakes are unhappy.

I should point out - that I feed them separately, in a feeding box out of their vivs and as they are same sexed vivs there isn't much left for them to be competitive over.

I found some of the comments on this thread rather over the top and unnecessarily aggressive and preachy towards people that have a differing opinion to them, so felt I should balance that out a bit.

1.0.0 - Carolina corn - Fluffy
0.1.0 - Pastel/Ghost motley corn - Smooch
1.0.0 - Anerythristic corn - Noodle
0.1.0 - Amelanistic corn - still to be named

Go to Top of Page

vivtastic
50% Warning

76 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  15:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with you MissJelly i think some member's on here can be unnecessarily aggressive, its almost as though they are looking for a confrontation. Having a different opinion and expressing it is fine and helpful, but some individuals overstep this mark by a considerable margin. As a new member there seems to be a correlation between this self richous attitude and post count. Go figure that out.

Regards

Vivtastic
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  15:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stapey, we need the drama llama!!
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  15:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just got two 5 month old corns. I asked to see the adults they have and was surpised to see 2 vivs. One had 1 male and 1 female in they apparently live together the whole time only seperated when being fed. And the second viv had 4 corns in 3 males and 1 female. They have always kept them like this they said and again are just seperated at feed time. They say they have never had any problems with sharing vivs and have kept them like this for many years. I don't want to get into arguments of viv sharing as it is not something I have or ever will do but maybe for some it works just fine.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  00:00:19  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Viv sharing can be done, we have never disputed that.
It's viv sharing for hatchies that is generally worse.

/edited to add
And viv sharing without any thought or plans in place to split if anything happens.
It's moreso to try to stop people just deciding to buy 2 snakes because "they are cute" with not a clue on how to judge how a snake is.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 22/03/2011 00:02:26
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  08:00:52  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OMG 3 males and 1 female??? they've been lucky!!! especially around this time of year!!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  12:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GP - I was very surprised but I have to say all snakes looked in excellent health. The only thing that concerned me was that it kind of gives the wrong idea to someone buying a snake from them. They were really surpised when I said that all mine are kept singly. Good thing they don't intend to hatch anymore eggs. Shame the female will be repeatedly mated for no reason though.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  12:26:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

Shame the female will be repeatedly mated for no reason though.

that's one of the main risks involved with housing several males and only one female, as well as not being able to work out or prove any hets as they'll never know which male actually sired the clutch.
when the female is fertile the males will probably be squabbling over her, risking hers and their own health........... isn't ignorance bliss.............

I'm tempted to ask if they thought the world was flat too!?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  20:04:24  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Stapey, we need the drama llama!!

I think people have a right to get all "aggressive" when unknown sex snakes and hatchlings are housed together with the evidence I have seen. Shows they care about the animal. For older I don't mind co-habbing as long as they are different sexes and as long people know what the signs of stress are. Which usually mean in order to see them, you have to know how the snake acts by itself, not in the company of other snakes before you cohab. If a snakes in someones experiences have always been cohbbaed, how would the person know the signs of stress for that snake? They wouldn't.

Of course there is difference of views bit then there's definitely no-nos, as with every animals. Cohabbing just falls into a grey area, fine if you do it right, dangerous if done improperly and sadly, people just seem to think that just because the well known reptile shop cobas and someone who has had snakes for many years cohab, that they are ok to put hatchings together and cohab, that is what people don't like.

You wouldn't keep a young dogs together without knowing the sexs or without knowing if they were violent or not, and you wouldn't keep a bitch all year round with a dog that hasn't had the snip so why do the same to snakes?

Edited by - Sta~ple on 22/03/2011 20:05:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000