Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

vivtastic
50% Warning

76 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  23:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i beg to differ you can be passionate without being aggressive, there is an alternative way of getting your point of view across, thats to be polite. You generally find that people are more inclined to take notice aswell which is an added bonus.

Regards

Vivtastic
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  12:17:33  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Stapey, we need the drama llama!!

You wouldn't keep a young dogs together without knowing the sexs or without knowing if they were violent or not, and you wouldn't keep a bitch all year round with a dog that hasn't had the snip so why do the same to snakes?

Agreed.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  21:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
But a lot of people simply do not know and no matter how many times they are politely told it's not sensible simply do not listen.
I think we had someone once post about the fact they had 2 small hatchies sharing as it was "ok because the reptile shop told them it would be" we informed them (politely) about the risk they were taking and our recommendations.
A week or so later, he posted a pic of his rather fat single hatchie, which then a short while later regurged it's sibling.

Not even a 'told you so' would've been worth it then.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  22:41:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just in cse it's not been linked to in this thread, highly relevant!!!
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5175

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  23:08:03  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even the esteemed Cold Blooded shop in Rainham are giving out potentially dodgy advice regarding this.

I was over there on Sunday just for a browse and I overheard the lady telling someone that it's fine to keep corns together. Now, I know it's POSSIBLE. But it's not advisable, and she failed to add that opposite sex juveniles being kept together is an absolute no-no!

Was surprised to hear this from them, because I've read nothing but complete praise for the fine folk in this shop. In fact I believe they are part of this forum, so hello in case you are reading this. lol

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Edited by - ptmbradley on 20/04/2011 08:26:18
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  08:02:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
unfortunately i've heard a well known and respected rep shop in York giving advice like that too......
afterall, its easier to sell a punter one set up and 2 snakes than 2 complete set ups!!

Go to Top of Page

madonion
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  13:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been sold 2 four month opposite sex corn snakes and was told that they will be fine in the faun together.
Having read this thread I decided to ring around reptile shops up and down the country and all but one said that they will be fine together - why would they say its fine if it isn't? They have nothing to gain by saying it is and a possible sale if they say they should be seperated.
Who are you supposed to beleive?

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  13:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madonion

I have been sold 2 four month opposite sex corn snakes and was told that they will be fine in the faun together.
Having read this thread I decided to ring around reptile shops up and down the country and all but one said that they will be fine together - why would they say its fine if it isn't? They have nothing to gain by saying it is and a possible sale if they say they should be seperated.

If they are opposite sex you will have to separate them at some point anyway to stop them breeding at too young an age so you might as well do it now.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  14:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, they have alot to gain.

Shops that give out the advice that is is fine to house multiple snakes together are far more likely to sell more snakes. Its very often novice keepers that know no better who decide to a) buy corns) and b) buy from shops, and knowing that you can have more than 1 snake without having to buy multiple complete setups help with sales.

Same reason alot of shops say heatmats are fine without stats- because someone buying a setup is far more likely to hand over their hard earned cash for a tank, hides, water bowl, plant and mat for £50, then they would be to hand over £100 for all that, plus a little white box to help control temperatures.....

Trust me when I say that far more people would be put off about buying a second setup for a second snake, then they would buying 2 snakes and only 1 setup. So, by telling customers that snakes can live together the shop gains the sale of more snakes, and doesn't lose a sale by advising the need for more equipment.

Its up to who to believe, but 2 young opposite sex snakes IS a disaster waiting to happen. Housing snakes together has no benefits for the snakes (apart from the ability to breed when old enough), only the keeper, and more often than not causes far more harm than good.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  16:50:21  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Perfect time to plug this thread again: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5175
Good read ^^^^

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Cornsnakeluver127
Egg

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2011 :  21:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there has been a lot of topic on this sort of thing, and i think that you should just house them sepratily because of cannibilsm and i have heard of snakes very stressed because one snake had... dominated shall i say the hides.
P.S congrats on the hatchies!!!
Go to Top of Page

Loopholes
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  15:38:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Kdlang for showing me this topic, heck I read through the whole lot and was also told its fine to keep corns together cos there so placid luckily money at the time meant I could only afford 1 4month old corn and I wouldnt want to put her at any risk in any way possible so I will be buying 2 seperate 3ft vivs when I decide to get another corn.
Thank you to everyone for there imput on here this is a well worthy read for all newbs and people wanting to put together corns. Like anything they can be put together but its all down to how the snakes get on heck I wouldnt want to be forced into a box with a 6ft6 dude called bubba and left to get on with it so why upset snakes like that.
I love my Karma and will not upset her in any way.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  21:35:15  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
good call loopy

quote:

and i know this is a late reply to the above quote but......
madonion, i know you're York-based(ish) as i've met you a Rep Night, this would lead me to believe that maybe Leaping Lizards told you they would be fine? i've heard their sales staff telling other customers that, as an experienced keeper i know it's not right and that's why i don't go to that shop any more, not even for crickets for the geckos.

other reputable shops such as Leeds-based Paws For Thought and T-Pets will ONLY sell snakes to be housed on their own and ONLY if your set-up has a thermostat - their own starter kits are complete starter kits with stats included. these reputable shops, that have knowledgable staff and above all values rather than sales targets, are ones i will drive that bit further to frequent

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  22:17:06  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

good call loopy

quote:

and i know this is a late reply to the above quote but......
madonion, i know you're York-based(ish) as i've met you a Rep Night, this would lead me to believe that maybe Leaping Lizards told you they would be fine? i've heard their sales staff telling other customers that, as an experienced keeper i know it's not right and that's why i don't go to that shop any more, not even for crickets for the geckos.

other reputable shops such as Leeds-based Paws For Thought and T-Pets will ONLY sell snakes to be housed on their own and ONLY if your set-up has a thermostat - their own starter kits are complete starter kits with stats included. these reputable shops, that have knowledgable staff and above all values rather than sales targets, are ones i will drive that bit further to frequent

If only all Reptile shop were like that!! if they were there would be no such need for threads like this basically i think it comes to how much of a risk your willing to take me myself im not a gambler/risk taker so given the fact i have access to such an awesome forum this with a collective experiance of god knows how many years worth of experiance keeping snakes i would be inclined to take theese guys word as gospel

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Tamogen
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  13:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have corns and pythons and I co-habit all of them.
I started with corns and was told I could co-habit my hatchlings but would need to keep an eye on them which is what I did. I (So far) have never had any issue with any of my paired up snakes. They all eat and shed well. I know this a hot topic but personally, I think it's a case of using your own experience and common sense. If a snake is paired but is stressed/not eating/regurging then house seperately but if they are fine and one is not bullying the other than just keep a close eye. I have 2 snake breeding friends and they co-habit and I have never heard of personal experience of hatchlings eating eachother but I have never also had personal experience of a hatchling eating istelf either.
Some snakes will be fine when paired, others not so you react to how the snakes themseleves act.
General rule of thumb is...
House snakes of similar size
Never house 2 different snake speices togther
Never house 2 males together
Never house male and female together unless breeding
Always feed outside tank/viv
Always keep close eye for bullying/fighting
Always check for signs of stress in both snakes
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  13:13:24  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tamogen

I have corns and pythons and I co-habit all of them.
I started with corns and was told I could co-habit my hatchlings but would need to keep an eye on them which is what I did. I (So far) have never had any issue with any of my paired up snakes. They all eat and shed well. I know this a hot topic but personally, I think it's a case of using your own experience and common sense. If a snake is paired but is stressed/not eating/regurging then house seperately but if they are fine and one is not bullying the other than just keep a close eye. I have 2 snake breeding friends and they co-habit and I have never heard of personal experience of hatchlings eating eachother but I have never also had personal experience of a hatchling eating istelf either.
Some snakes will be fine when paired, others not so you react to how the snakes themseleves act.
General rule of thumb is...
House snakes of similar size
Never house 2 different snake speices togther
Never house 2 males together
Never house male and female together unless breeding
Always feed outside tank/viv
Always keep close eye for bullying/fighting
Always check for signs of stress in both snakes

this is the bit people dont seam to get they think because they not fighting or paying attention to each other all is well. but dont seam to realise not eating is a sign of a stressed snake. just like in a thread that is running now

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Tamogen
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  14:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I do think you are right. Maybe some snake owners are not too aware that a snake not eating is a big sign of stress.
Even with snakes who fast such as pythons, you have to wonder why a snake chooses not to eat.
First thing for me to think about would be if the snake ready to shed. Second would be temps in the cage and general cage upkeep issues and the third thing I would be considering is stress levels.
I would advise to anybody with a snake, especially a corn who normally is a good eating speices would to seperate immediatly if one snake is not eating (when not due to shed)or if a snake is regurging in case of stress levels. An unhappy snake makes for an unhappy owner.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  21:13:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tamogen

I think it's a case of using your own experience and common sense.

i totally agree with this...............BUT............
unfortunately inexperienced and ill-advised owners do it and common sense also appears to be a misnomer!

Go to Top of Page

Tamogen
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  20:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I agree. If you are going to co-habit you really have to do your homework.
Learn the risks and learn how to spot any signs of trouble within your snakes.
I would say to keep a few spare RUBS, hides and heatmats handy at all times so you can seperate straight away if something were to arouse your suspision of an unhappy co-habitting snake.
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  09:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are risks with keeping any animals together in pairs or groups. Some people keep large groups of animals together with no ill affects while others are not so fortunate.
As long as you know what could happen if things go wrong and are prepared to deal with it then give it a go. Not everyone is against co-habiting and some people have real success with it. Just do the research first please and be prepared for all eventualities.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000