Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2010 :  21:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i might be getting a corn snake :) this guide helped me im getting a faunarium for free from Hiper2009 their so nice! so i have £60.00 to spend on snakey (when i get it)

Reptiles are the only pets that make us diffrent, the others make us all the same.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

23 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2010 :  19:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, im new to the forum and to the world of snakes. I have a quick question though. when placing the thermostat sensor is it best to place it inside the hide of the hot end or outside? the only reason im asking is because i guess if it was outside i would not get an accurate reading as it would hotter in the hide?

have i just answered my own question?

thanks?

1.0.0 Stig - Beardie
0.0.1 Sindy - Norm
Corn.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2010 :  00:33:28  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the late reply, I've been abit moody lately .

Anyway, glad the setup guide is helping out.

SugarAndSpiceIsSoNice - Is it a complete setup you are getting? If you haven't already got it. If so, that's great.

bernie4547 - It's really upto you where you place the thermostat sensor, under the faun or inside it, as long as the themometer probe is inside, that way you get your accurate readings.

Remember, it all depends on your setup. I think Matty on here puts his stat probes underneath, maybe he can explain setup or link you to a thread with it in. But if the enclosure is glass or plastic, a faun, terrarium or RUB you can place your heat mat inside or outside, same with your stat probe, but the them probe goes inside. As previously mentioned in the guide though, if you are using a glass enclosure be aware that glass may crack under continous heat.This is only something I have read about so the source may have been just a one off incident. But as advised, if you have an air gap you shouldn't have any issues.

Here's a couple of pics of Elijah's faun, although ina clear plastic faun he has loads of cover with a couple of hides, the Exo Terra Boston Fern and an Exo Terra silk vine down one side. Obviously the picture is not as my guide is as I originally had the ET small hide at the cool end, but I switched them over so when Elijah was in his warm hide he was directly on the substrate above the heat mat.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 26/06/2010 00:38:25
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  04:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bernie4547

Hi all, im new to the forum and to the world of snakes. I have a quick question though. when placing the thermostat sensor is it best to place it inside the hide of the hot end or outside? the only reason im asking is because i guess if it was outside i would not get an accurate reading as it would hotter in the hide?

have i just answered my own question?

thanks?

This thread may help you with the positioning of your probes, although LittleMick has given you a pretty good idea about how to do it - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8402. You will see from the thread that there are some differences of opinion with this so you will have to decide which you feel is best.

As for placing the probe inside the hide, I personally think it is better to have the probe (both probes or just the one, depending on which way you choose to set it up) outside of the hide as if it is inside it may be affected by a cool snake lying on it. This was recently discussed in this thread - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10271

xxx

Go to Top of Page

tomp33
Egg

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  19:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much. You just answered every single one of my corn snake Q's. :) Im going to use your ideas lol.

1 Corn Snake- Snape
:)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  03:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomp33

Thank you so much. You just answered every single one of my corn snake Q's. :) Im going to use your ideas lol.

That is exactly what LittleMick was hoping when he put this '101' together Abbz. I bet you are so excited about getting your corn and it is great that you are getting everything prepared before hand so that once you buy your new snake its new home is all set up and running properly.

Why dont you pop over to the 'Introduction' section so we can all say hi properly and find out some more about you? We are a nosey lot on here !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

tomp33
Egg

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  07:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by tomp33

That is exactly what LittleMick was hoping when he put this '101' together Abbz. I bet you are so excited about getting your corn and it is great that you are getting everything prepared before hand so that once you buy your new snake its new home is all set up and running properly.

Why dont you pop over to the 'Introduction' section so we can all say hi properly and find out some more about you? We are a nosey lot on here !

xxx

I would never dream of buying the setup with the snake. I am going to get it up and running a few days before incase of problems.

I saw some people in the reptile shop the other day buying their beardie's setup with the lizard itself!

xD

1 Corn Snake- Snape
:)
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  17:58:04  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's just plain irresponsible, I thought I was cutting it fine when I got a setup 2 days prior to getting myLeopard gecko, although if there had been a problem I would have just delayed picking her up.

Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Sizzlesmum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  21:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mick thanks so much for this thread

I'm getting two hatchlings soon and this has been a godsend.

Have got things up and running temps wise, just to make sure before they get here

Can I ask what size the fern and vines are? (Been on ebay lol)

Thanks
Ellie

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  00:06:59  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Sizzlesmum, my absolute pleasure, it's good to see people are benefitting from the guide, . Keep your eyes open for the adult guide coming soon. It's going to be wow!!!!!

The Silk vine is a 30cm one I think, classed as small, and the Fern is the Exo Terra Boston Fern Small. I'll amend the post to include the sizes if it's not in there.

Go to Top of Page

Sizzlesmum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  21:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Mick, I thought it would be the small but wanted to make sure

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  21:57:03  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Fantasic post Mick , Very useful !!

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  23:11:21  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Np, it's great to see people making use of it. I have also ameneded the guide to include the sizes of the silk vine and Boston Fern.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  11:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any chance of a final price up mate?

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  18:15:22  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well the cost of me posting is about 50p a word, will send admin an invoice shortly.

Lol, seriously though, you want me to build it for you as well?

Lol, No, absolutely seriously, if it will help I will get a price together of what I paid for a COMPLETE setup. But I'm sure if people hunt around they can get everything a little cheaper.

Edited by - LittleMick on 12/07/2010 18:19:49
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  11:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. You gave me a bit of info to help persuade me family to get me a snake.

Hello, My birthday is on the 14th of August and I plan to get a Corn Snake with my Birthday money. I need to know as much as possible.
Go to Top of Page

reggie_69
Egg

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  12:32:09  Show Profile  Click to see reggie_69's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
awesome post cant go wrong!!
Go to Top of Page

miss_mystra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  13:25:45  Show Profile  Visit miss_mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
perfect post, just what i need to get set up :) thanks!

0.0.2 Corn Snakes - Betty (Anery) and Sanchez (Carolina)
1.0.0 - Royal Python - Chancho
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  19:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LITTLEMICK, that's a brilliant post! Thanks for doing all that work.

Evie's Mom ~ 0.1.0 Okeetee Corn Snake, 0.1.0 Akita/Husky Rescue, 1.0 Betta, 0.0.1 N.M. millipede rescue, 0.0.3 minnows
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  23:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is a fantastic guide and will be a massive help to me, we are getting our first snakey in 2 weeks so i will be reading this again when i come to set up, thank you.

1 cavalier king charles
1 rabbit
4 corn snakes
1 columbian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000